Virginia Military Defense Lawyers
Defending Virginia Military Personnel at Home & Abroad
While facing criminal allegations can be nerve-racking for any Virginian, it can be all the more stressful for military servicemen and women. If you’re preparing for an upcoming investigation or court-martial as a U.S. military servicemember, seeking sound counsel from a skilled military defense lawyer is imperative to protecting your career after years or decades of service to your country.
At Military Justice Attorneys, our tenacious advocates defend military servicemembers and veterans against a wide range of criminal offenses. From navigating communications with Boards for Correction of Military Records (BCMRs) to protecting against unfair lending practices under the SCRA, our Virginia lawyers have over 40 years of experience in courts-martial and military proceedings to defend the rights of those who defend us. Don’t wait to seek the robust defense you deserve to protect your honorable service.
A military conviction can disrupt your life and jeopardize your future. Contact us online to secure the proactive defense you need to defend your freedom.
Skilled Representation from Former Military Officers
Our military defense attorneys are proud to serve military personnel and veterans throughout Virginia. With over four decades of experience defending those who selflessly defend our American freedom, our lawyers are well-versed in various types of military law proceedings. Regardless of your military branch or rank, our firm can represent your best interests while fearlessly advocating for the favorable outcome you deserve. Common military cases we handle include:
- Court-Martial Defense: When preparing for an upcoming court-martial, our military attorneys can aggressively defend your rights. For decades, our firm has defended military servicemembers against various charges, including adultery, assault and battery, AWOL and desertion, domestic violence, drill sergeant/instructor misconduct, drug offenses, internet sex crimes, larceny, manslaughter, murder, officer misconduct, recruiter misconduct, and sexual assault. We can examine the unique circumstances of your case to build you a fortified defense and pursue the just outcome you deserve.
- Court-Martial Appeals: In the event that the court-martial results in an unjust outcome, our lawyers can guide your legal steps swiftly and wisely to file a court-martial appeal. Our team is knowledgeable of the legal intricacies of this process, allowing us to assist clients with requests for clemency, special clemency/parole boards, and related legal matters during military proceedings.
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA): Enacted in 2003, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) provides essential legal and financial protections to active-duty military servicemembers. Under the SCRA, active-duty military personnel can request to postpone or suspend civil obligations that may pose an undue burden or otherwise compromise their duties. Our lawyers have an in-depth understanding of the SCRA and its critical protections, including interest rate caps, lease terminations, mortgage foreclosures, and vehicle repossession, to protect the rights of U.S. servicemembers.
- Discharge Upgrade: Other-than-honorable (OTH) discharges can result in adverse effects for military servicemembers and veterans, potentially jeopardizing their lives, careers, and reputations. If you were dishonorably discharged, our attorneys can help you request a discharge upgrade by guiding you through an appropriate legal avenue. Servicemembers may be eligible to pursue a discharge upgrade on certain grounds, such as PTSD/TBI (traumatic brain injuries), certain mental health conditions, discriminatory discharge under the since-repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” (DADT) policy, and as a survivor of military sexual assault or harassment.
- Administrative Separation: From officer separations to enlisted separations/chapter boards to notification procedures, our firm can carefully evaluate your case, review your legal options, and construct an effective defense strategy to maximize your chance of obtaining a favorable result.
- Administrative Appeals: Our lawyers assist military servicemen and women in administrative appeals, including adverse counseling, adverse fitness reports and referred evaluations, Article 138 complaints, Article 15 and non-judicial punishment (NJP), demotion appeals, DNA expungement, GOMOR rebuttals, and titling actions.
- Correction of Military Records: Errors and inaccuracies in your official military records can harm your military career and jeopardize future opportunities. Whether your records were tarnished by an innocent mistake or an intentional act of vengeance, Military Justice Attorneys can zealously defend your rights and help you pursue a correction.
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination: If you were diagnosed with one or more qualifying health conditions after serving for at least 30 days at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River between 1953 and 1987, our attorneys can help you file a claim to seek justice and fair compensation. Eligible diagnoses include adult leukemia, aplastic anemia, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, liver cancer, multiple myeloma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and Parkinson's disease.
Locations We Serve
Our firm has worldwide experience defending the rights of U.S. military servicemembers. Common areas we serve in Virginia include:
- Fort Belvoir (Newington)
- Fort Lee (Richmond)
- Fort A.P. Hill (Bowling Green)
- Fort Monroe (Hampton)
- Fort Myer (Arlington/Ashton Heights)
- Joint Base Langley-Eustis (Newport News/Hampton)
- Marine Corps Base Quantico (Dumfries)
- Naval Air Station Oceana (Virginia Beach)
- Naval Station Norfolk
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard
Why Hire Military Justice Attorneys?
If you're under investigation or preparing for an upcoming court-martial to address pending allegations, our military attorneys can fiercely defend your character and honorable service by providing the high-quality representation you deserve. When you partner with Military Justice Attorneys, you’ll put decades of experience on your side. Some reasons to hire us include:
- Reliable representation: Our military defense lawyers are hardworking, honest, and accessible to our clients, always going the extra mile to prioritize each servicemember’s unique needs.
- Legal clarity: Our comprehensive knowledge of military law helps our attorneys set realistic expectations for our clients, adequately preparing them for what lies ahead by ensuring they fully understand their legal options. No matter your case, we can advise your legal steps with care and precision to pursue a favorable outcome.
- Global experience: Our knowledgeable firm represents clients at home and abroad, making us well-equipped to defend military personnel of any rank and branch throughout the United States.
"I trusted him with my career on the line, and he was outstanding."
Mr. Hill tore apart the government's theory piece by piece . . . I trusted him with my career on the line, and he was outstanding.- Petty Officer Third Class, USN
"I would not want my fate in anyone else’s hands."
Gerry Healy is an outstanding attorney. In the courtroom he is confident, knowledgeable, and aggressive. I would not want my fate in anyone else’s hands.- Airman First Class, USAF
"Mr. Hodge was relentless in his defense of me"
Mr. Hodge was relentless in his defense of me . . . and absolved me of any wrongdoing under the UCMJ.- Corporal, USMC
"I would hire them again in a heartbeat."
Gerry and Josh are absolute professional monsters in the courtroom. I would hire them again in a heartbeat and wouldn’t want anyone else in my corner!- Private First Class, USA
"The Best Possible Outcome."
The results I received from the board was the best possible outcome and saved my career and my family's future.- Master Sergeant, USAF
Camp Pendleton, CA. Marine charged with sexually assaulting a dependent spouse was found not guilty after MJA obtained DNA testing.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Fort Stewart, GA. Army Staff Sergeant fully acquitted of larceny and solicitation to commit larceny of government property.
CHARGES DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE CHARGES DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE
Fort Campbell, KY. Sexual assault charges dismissed with prejudice after MJA exposed government discovery violations.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany. Senior Airman falsely accused of committing rape and sexual assault against a fellow service member. Not guilty verdict was returned with 30 minutes of deliberation.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Kings Bay, GA. Navy Master-at-Arms found not guilty of allegedly unholstering firearm and pointing it at another Sailor.
CHARGES DISMISSED CHARGES DISMISSED
Fort Johnson, LA. Army Specialist charged with multiple sexual assaults released from confinement and had charges dismissed due to false allegations.