California Military Defense Attorneys
Aggressively Defending the Rights of U.S. Servicemembers
Our military defense attorneys understand how intimidating and frustrating it can be to have your reputation threatened by an investigation or pending court-martial. When your reputation as an active-duty servicemember is on the line, securing reliable representation is crucial to defending your rights and clearing your name.
At Military Justice Attorneys, our firm is dedicated to defending those who defend our freedom. We understand the necessity of having an experienced military defense lawyer in our corner while navigating the legal complexities of the military justice system, which is why our knowledgeable team is here to zealously protect your rights.
Our military defense lawyers represent servicemembers from every branch of the military. Call (843) 773-5501 to schedule a free consultation.
Types of Military Criminal Cases We Handle
As former military officers, our California attorneys are well-equipped to aggressively defend your rights in a wide range of U.S. military matters. From military sexual assault defense to adverse referral evaluation reports, we can fight tirelessly to restore your freedom after allegations of misconduct or unfair lending practices by big banks or property management companies. Common types of military matters we handle include:
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA): The SCRA provides protections to military members as they enter service. It covers issues like rental agreements, security deposits, credit card interest rates, and related interests. Our attorneys are well-versed in the provisions of the SCRA, empowering them to defend our clients’ rights in various disputes relating to the interest rate cap, lease terminations, mortgage foreclosures, and vehicle repossession.
- Correction of Records: Errors or injustices in military records can be corrected through the Board for Correction of Military Records. Our skilled lawyers can facilitate this process to ensure all necessary documents are submitted accurately and on time.
- Discharge Upgrade: If you were unfairly discharged, our attorneys can help you appeal for a discharge upgrade. We understand the significant impact this can have on your post-military life and career prospects, which is why we’re dedicated to guiding your legal steps with care and precision. We can strengthen your case with relevant evidence to establish grounds for eligibility, such as PTSD or traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), sexual assault or harassment, mental health conditions, or discrimination due to the since-repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.
- Administrative Appeals: Our team provides comprehensive representation for servicemembers facing administrative appeals, such as adverse counseling, adverse fitness report or referred evaluations, Article 138 complaints, Article 15 and non-judicial punishment (NJP), demotion appeals, DNA expungement, GOMOR rebuttals, and titling actions. Our knowledgeable attorneys can help you understand your rights and prepare a strong defense.
- Administrative Separation: Our lawyers can assist servicemembers facing potential administrative separation. Whether you’re navigating officer separations, enlisted separations/chapter boards, or notification procedures, our firm can provide the sound counsel and effective defense strategy you need to protect and maintain your hard-earned military career.
- Court-Martial Appeals: Our attorneys can represent your best interests in court-martial appeals by gathering compelling evidence and ensuring your rights are protected. We assist with clemency requests and special clemency/parole boards.
- Court-Martial Defense: Our military defense lawyers have extensive experience representing servicemembers against allegations of criminal activity, such as AWOL and desertion, officer misconduct, assault and battery, adultery, domestic violence, drill sergeant and instructor misconduct, recruiter misconduct, sexual assault, murder, manslaughter, larceny, internet sex crimes, and drug offenses.
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination: Our team represents veterans affected by the water contamination at Camp Lejeune. If you suffered health problems as a result of this exposure, our attorneys can pursue the justice you deserve.
With a decentralized approach to military defense, our lawyers have the ability to defend servicemembers from any branch and any rank of the military, both at home and abroad. If you’re facing a pending court-martial or investigation as a military servicemember, don’t wait to secure the experienced representation you deserve to clear your name and take back your life.
Locations We Serve
Military Justice Attorneys serve military servicemembers throughout the Golden State. Locations we serve include:
- Naval Base Coronado
- Naval Base Port Loma
- Naval Base San Diego
- MCAGCC Twentynine Palms
- Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
- Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego
- Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton (Oceanside/Carlsbad)
How Can a Military Defense Lawyer Help?
A military defense lawyer represents military servicemen and women facing criminal allegations, defending their rights to ensure they receive a fair trial. Some key responsibilities of military defense attorneys include:
- Reliable representation: Military defense lawyers represent military personnel in various legal proceedings, including court-martial, administrative hearings, and appeals. Our trusted attorneys represent servicemembers and veterans of any rank from any branch of the military.
- Case investigation: Your lawyer can thoroughly review the unique circumstances of your case with a practiced legal eye to develop a strong defense strategy, gather evidence, and interview potential witnesses.
- Sound counsel: Your lawyer can provide invaluable counsel to help you understand your rights and the legal options available to you.
- Defense preparation: Your attorney can help prepare a strong defense by conducting research, drafting legal documents, and presenting a compelling argument to support your case.
- Negotiation: Military defense lawyers can effectively negotiate with prosecutors as needed to seek favorable plea deals or reduce the criminal charges against their clients.
- Trial advocacy: Your lawyer can defend your rights in court by preserving evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and presenting a persuasive argument to defend against the charges you’re facing.
- Appeals: If their client is convicted, military defense lawyers can pursue an appeal on their behalf, such as by challenging legal errors or constitutional violations that occurred during the trial.
Seeking sound counsel from a trusted attorney is critical to protecting your rights as a military servicemember. Our experienced lawyers can provide effective representation throughout each step of the legal process, from investigations and pre-trial proceedings to court-martial and appeals.
"I trusted him with my career on the line, and he was outstanding."
Mr. Hill tore apart the government's theory piece by piece . . . I trusted him with my career on the line, and he was outstanding.- Petty Officer Third Class, USN
"I would not want my fate in anyone else’s hands."
Gerry Healy is an outstanding attorney. In the courtroom he is confident, knowledgeable, and aggressive. I would not want my fate in anyone else’s hands.- Airman First Class, USAF
"Mr. Hodge was relentless in his defense of me"
Mr. Hodge was relentless in his defense of me . . . and absolved me of any wrongdoing under the UCMJ.- Corporal, USMC
"I would hire them again in a heartbeat."
Gerry and Josh are absolute professional monsters in the courtroom. I would hire them again in a heartbeat and wouldn’t want anyone else in my corner!- Private First Class, USA
"The Best Possible Outcome."
The results I received from the board was the best possible outcome and saved my career and my family's future.- Master Sergeant, USAF
Camp Pendleton, CA. Marine charged with sexually assaulting a dependent spouse was found not guilty after MJA obtained DNA testing.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Fort Stewart, GA. Army Staff Sergeant fully acquitted of larceny and solicitation to commit larceny of government property.
CHARGES DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE CHARGES DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE
Fort Campbell, KY. Sexual assault charges dismissed with prejudice after MJA exposed government discovery violations.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany. Senior Airman falsely accused of committing rape and sexual assault against a fellow service member. Not guilty verdict was returned with 30 minutes of deliberation.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Kings Bay, GA. Navy Master-at-Arms found not guilty of allegedly unholstering firearm and pointing it at another Sailor.
CHARGES DISMISSED CHARGES DISMISSED
Fort Johnson, LA. Army Specialist charged with multiple sexual assaults released from confinement and had charges dismissed due to false allegations.