Texas Military Defense Attorneys
Aggressively Defending Military Servicemembers in TX
At Military Justice Attorneys, we understand that serving your country requires enormous sacrifice. From leaving your loved ones behind during deployment to the physical stress of keeping your body and fitness in peak condition, serving in the U.S. armed forces comes with a myriad of challenges that most civilians simply can’t understand.
As former military officers, our Texas lawyers truly understand the unique difficulties of serving in the military because we’ve lived through them ourselves. Whether you’re a veteran or active-duty servicemember, facing allegations of criminal offenses in the military can carry disastrous consequences.
If you’re preparing for a pending court-martial or investigation, don’t throw away years or decades of selfless service by failing to secure high-quality representation. With over 40 years of experience, our attorneys are well-versed in military law, empowering us to protect the rights of military servicemen and women against a wide range of military offenses.
If you’re facing criminal allegations as a U.S. military servicemember, call (843) 773-5501 to schedule a free consultation with a Texas military attorney.
Military Law Cases We Handle
Failing to seek sound counsel from an experienced military defense attorney can threaten more than your reputation; it can also result in loss of benefits and future employment opportunities. When it comes to defending those who defend our freedom, Military Justice Attorneys has a longstanding reputation for delivering the trusted counsel that servicemembers deserve in times of need.
Our firm has decades of experience representing servicemembers and veterans in courts-martial and related military proceedings, including:
- Court-Martial Defense: Our firm defends military personnel facing a wide range of military offenses, such as adultery, assault and battery, AWOL and desertion, domestic violence, drill sergeant/instructor misconduct, drug offenses, internet sex crimes, larceny, manslaughter, murder, officer misconduct, recruiter misconduct, and sexual assault.
- Court-Martial Appeals: While the legal framework of military law is designed to produce fair results, this isn't always the case. If you feel you received an unjust verdict in a court-martial, our attorneys can guide you through the legal intricacies of filing a court-martial appeal to pursue the fair outcome you deserve. Our team has extensive knowledge of the court-marital appeals process and related legal matters, including requests for clemency and special clemency/parole boards.
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA): The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) is a federal law passed in 2003 that provides important legal protections to active-duty military personnel. The SCRA grants relief from civil proceedings that may impact the rights of active-duty servicemembers, permitting them to delay or suspend specific judicial and administrative proceedings to ensure their duties aren't compromised. Our lawyers are committed to protecting your rights under the SCRA by assisting with various issues, such as interest rate caps, lease terminations, mortgage foreclosures, and vehicle repossession.
- Discharge Upgrade: If you received an other-than-honorable (OTH) discharge, our seasoned attorneys can evaluate your case to determine potential avenues for a discharge upgrade. We’re familiar with the various legal avenues to upgrade a discharge, including PTSD and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), qualifying mental health conditions, discriminatory discharge under the since-repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” (DADT) policy, and as a survivor of military sexual assault or harassment.
- Administrative Separation: If you’re facing administrative separation, we can help you exercise your rights and defend your military career. Our lawyers are experienced in navigating adverse administrative actions, such as officer separations, enlisted separations/chapter boards, and notification procedures. We can carefully assess the unique circumstances of your case and investigate any evidence against you to build a strong and comprehensive defense on your behalf.
- Administrative Appeals: Our military defense attorneys handle various administrative appeals, such as adverse counseling, adverse fitness reports and referred evaluations, Article 138 complaints, Article 15 and non-judicial punishment (NJP), demotion appeals, DNA expungement, GOMOR rebuttals, and titling actions.
- Correction of Military Records: We understand the gravity of errors and inaccuracies in your official military records. No matter how innocent or minor, such mistakes can significantly impact your career. Our attorneys can defend your rights and fortify your case with solid evidence to seek a formal correction and restore your hard-earned reputation.
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination: If you suffered adverse health effects due to water contamination at Camp Lejeune between 1953 and 1987, our highly skilled advocates can help you file a claim to pursue compensation and justice.
Areas We Serve
Military Justice Attorneys represents military personnel stationed all over the globe. Common locations we serve in Texas include:
- Fort Hood (Killeen/Waco/Austin)
- Goodfellow Air Force Base (San Angelo)
- Joint Base San Antonio
- Fort Sam Houston
- Lackland Air Force Base
- Randolph Air Force Base
What Is the Court-Martial Process in Texas?
A court-martial is a military court that tries members of the armed services for military offenses as stipulated by the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). Like civilian courts, court-martial proceedings are often complex and require guidance from an experienced attorney with an in-depth understanding of military law.
Our attorneys can help you navigate these legal intricacies wisely by guiding you through the following steps:
- Notification of Charges: Once formal charges have been filed, the military member is notified. It's crucial to seek legal counsel immediately after this point to plan a strong defense.
- Article 32 Investigation: During this preliminary hearing, the court will review the offense and examine available evidence. A qualified military attorney can use this opportunity to challenge the prosecution's evidence and potentially prevent the case from going to a court-martial.
- Referral: If sufficient evidence is present, the case is referred to court-martial. Our attorneys can use this pre-trial phase to negotiate potential plea agreements or to further challenge the charges.
- Court-Martial Trial: The court-martial trial is held before a military judge or a panel of military officers. Our lawyers can present a robust defense to contest the prosecution's evidence and advocate for your rights.
- Sentencing: If convicted, the accused will be sentenced. Our firm can strive to mitigate the severity of sentencing through compelling arguments and the presentation of mitigating factors.
- Court-Martial Appeal: If the court-martial verdict is unfavorable, our attorneys can help you appeal the decision in the military appellate courts.
Securing a reliable defense from a qualified attorney is essential to defending your reputation in a court-martial. Our team can provide crucial support and representation to ensure your rights are protected and represent your best interests throughout each step of the legal process.
"I trusted him with my career on the line, and he was outstanding."
Mr. Hill tore apart the government's theory piece by piece . . . I trusted him with my career on the line, and he was outstanding.- Petty Officer Third Class, USN
"I would not want my fate in anyone else’s hands."
Gerry Healy is an outstanding attorney. In the courtroom he is confident, knowledgeable, and aggressive. I would not want my fate in anyone else’s hands.- Airman First Class, USAF
"Mr. Hodge was relentless in his defense of me"
Mr. Hodge was relentless in his defense of me . . . and absolved me of any wrongdoing under the UCMJ.- Corporal, USMC
"I would hire them again in a heartbeat."
Gerry and Josh are absolute professional monsters in the courtroom. I would hire them again in a heartbeat and wouldn’t want anyone else in my corner!- Private First Class, USA
"The Best Possible Outcome."
The results I received from the board was the best possible outcome and saved my career and my family's future.- Master Sergeant, USAF
Camp Pendleton, CA. Marine charged with sexually assaulting a dependent spouse was found not guilty after MJA obtained DNA testing.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Fort Stewart, GA. Army Staff Sergeant fully acquitted of larceny and solicitation to commit larceny of government property.
CHARGES DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE CHARGES DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE
Fort Campbell, KY. Sexual assault charges dismissed with prejudice after MJA exposed government discovery violations.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany. Senior Airman falsely accused of committing rape and sexual assault against a fellow service member. Not guilty verdict was returned with 30 minutes of deliberation.
FULL ACQUITTAL FULL ACQUITTAL
Kings Bay, GA. Navy Master-at-Arms found not guilty of allegedly unholstering firearm and pointing it at another Sailor.
CHARGES DISMISSED CHARGES DISMISSED
Fort Johnson, LA. Army Specialist charged with multiple sexual assaults released from confinement and had charges dismissed due to false allegations.