Defending Those Who Defend Us®
  • Assault

    A Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps was accused of strangling and beating a civilian woman while stationed at an Air Force Base in Texas.  Along with the threat of substantial Brig time, the Staff Sergeant was facing the possibility of a punitive discharge, and the loss of his 14 year career. However, on the second day of trial, during the government’s presentation of evidence, MJA was successful in motioning the Court for a mistrial due to prosecutorial misconduct. (Healy, 2014)

    A Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps was accused of hazing, blood-stripping, and pinning, and condoning such behavior, of several non-commissioned officers while deployed.  The Staff Sergeant was facing several decades in the Brig, and a punitive discharge, but members of his peers found him not guilty of all charges.  The Staff Sergeant picked up Gunnery Sergeant the following month, and was allowed to re-enlisted in the Marine Corps. (Healy, 2014)

    A Staff Sergeant stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort was pending a Special Courts-Martial, where he was facing 21 separate charges of hazing, maltreatment, and other orders violations. As a result of a pre-trial agreement, all charges will be withdrawn, and disposed of through an administrative hearing. The client is no longer at risk of federal convictions, jail time, or a punitive discharge. The pre-trial agreement also prohibits the command from involuntarily discharging the client based on the charged misconduct. Client will be honorably discharged from U.S. Marine Corps later this year. (Healy, 2013)

    A Corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps was accused of assaulting his wife and two-year-old son with a loaded firearm while on board Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort. The Corporal faced nearly twenty years in confinement, dishonorable discharge, and the likelihood of separation from his son. The Corporal was fully acquitted of all charges and deployed with his unit soon after trial. (Healy, 2012)

    While stationed aboard Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, a Corporal of Marines was accused at a general court-martial of aggravated assault on his 27-day-old son. The Corporal faced nearly a decade of confinement and a dishonorable discharge from the Marine Corps; however, he was fully acquitted of the charge and remains on active duty in the U.S. Marine Corps. (Healy, 2010)

    At a general court-martial, a Gunnery Sergeant of Marines with twenty years of active duty was accused of assaulting two Marines with a loaded firearm. The Gunnery Sergeant was facing several decades of confinement and a dishonorable discharge from the Marine Corps if convicted.  In mixed findings, the Gunnery Sergeant was found guilty of certain charges and acquitted of others. He was sentenced to two years in confinement but no punitive discharge.  Through clemency and post-trial matters, the Gunnery Sergeant had six months suspended from his adjudged confinement. He recently retired with an honorable discharge. (Healy, 2010)